Subject: Re: [Semi-OT] Sharing files with Windows
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/2006 11:28:27
--------------enig8F418698F39E14423A3E1DAC

Chavdar Ivanov wrote:

>> > Put WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php) on your XP box enable
>> > sshd on the NetBSD box. If you need any more tips how to configure t=
he
>> > keys, just yell.
>>
>> I think he wants to access the XP box from his NetBSD box, not the oth=
er
>> way around.

   Correct.

> The first sentence in the post is:
>=20
>=20
> Unfortunately this means either that he wants to access files residing
> ON the NetBSD system FROM the XP laptop, or he wants to access files
> FROM his XP laptop - i.e. residing on it - while working ON his NetBSD
> system... Take your pick. The discussion goes both ways.

   Yes, I realized my mistake when I received the first replies. I want
to access files ON my NetBSD system FROM my XP system. i.e. XP runs an
NFS client, and NetBSD runs an NFS server.

   (To my defence, I had a fever when I wrote that mail). :-)

   But I have decided to try the synchronization route which was
suggested to me, since it accomplishes what I actually wanted from the
beginning -- having two identical copies of the same set of files.

[---]
> TrueGrid NFS is also single-threaded, but in practice we have been
> able to use it for light sharing - even in production environments
> (well, a few DOS PCs running PC-NFS access a Windows "server" to fetch
> NC programs etc.). Next time will try with Cygwin. Microsoft SFU is
> more of a trouble to setup,  but you get the NFS client.

   Where can you get SFU which runs on plain XP? I found a knowledgebase
article which stated that a Server-edition is required to run the
NFS-stuff, IIRC.

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.