Subject: Re: [Semi-OT] Sharing files with Windows
To: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/25/2006 23:31:27
On 8/25/06, Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:51:29PM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> > On 8/25/06, Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >>   I want to access files on my NetBSD system from my XP laptop.
> >
> > Put WinSCP (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php) on your XP box enable
> > sshd on the NetBSD box. If you need any more tips how to configure the
> > keys, just yell.
>
> I think he wants to access the XP box from his NetBSD box, not the other
> way around.

The first sentence in the post is:

>>>  I want to access files on my NetBSD system from my XP laptop.

Unfortunately this means either that he wants to access files residing
ON the NetBSD system FROM the XP laptop, or he wants to access files
FROM his XP laptop - i.e. residing on it - while working ON his NetBSD
system... Take your pick. The discussion goes both ways.

> OP: you could install sshd on the XP box.
>
> <snip>
>
> >>   Does anyone know of any good options?
> >>
> >>   I thought NFS was the way to go, but upon reading up on it, AFAICT,
> >> NFS won't run over SSH-initiated tunnels. And there doesn't seem to be
> >> any free NFS clients for Windows.
> >
> > Not true - Microsoft Services for Unix works on XP and is free:
>
> As is cygwin, which would give you ssh/sshd and/or server side NFS.
>
> The caveat with cygwin's nfs is it is single-threaded, so, I wouldn't
> put it on a server and bang on it heavily, but for file sharing with a
> *nix box, it will probably handle things fine.

Thanks for pointing to me that there is an NFS server buried in the
Cygwin package - I used to use Cygwin a lot years ago, rarely now;
never realized this functionality was there.

TrueGrid NFS is also single-threaded, but in practice we have been
able to use it for light sharing - even in production environments
(well, a few DOS PCs running PC-NFS access a Windows "server" to fetch
NC programs etc.). Next time will try with Cygwin. Microsoft SFU is
more of a trouble to setup,  but you get the NFS client.

> --
> Michael Parson
> mparson@bl.org

Chavdar