Subject: Re: fsck and soft updates (soft dependencies)
To: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@aydogan.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2006 02:02:12
2006/8/22, Johan A. van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>:

>  Greetings.
Hello !

>  First, if i understand things correctly, one of the helpful features of
> soft updates (AKA soft dependencies) is supposedly the ability to mount a
> dirty file system and fsck it while the file system is active.

No. Background fsck isn't available in NetBSD yet.

> Two items in particular are:
>  - long fsck times for FFS

Well, if your system is for your private use, I would recommend LFS
(Log-structured file system). It covers your requirements. Very short
fsck and it is faster than normal ffs. (At least I have the feeling it
is.), but snapshots aren't possible with LFS. The latest changes were
pulled up to NetBSD 3, so it should work with it. Otherwise use a
current system. I'm using it on my Notebook without any problems since
a while and I've heard some are already using it in production. If it
is for production, I would use ffs without softdep, since you have
hardware raid.

>  -johan
Zafer.