Subject: Re: Suboptimal DNS lookup in Firefox/Mozilla on lossy net connections?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/04/2006 11:46:35
Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Aug 4, 11:03am, lundman@lundman.net (Jorgen Lundman) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Suboptimal DNS lookup in Firefox/Mozilla on lossy net connect
>
> | Perhaps the Mozilla sources just need a timer wrapper around the function, but
> | it is near impossible to use Mozilla when, frequently, the getaddrinfo()
> | function would never return.
> |
> | I'm not asking anyone to believe me, just thought I'd offer it to the original
> | poster incase he was hit by the same issue.
> |
> | It is very easy to replicate here.
>
> Tell me how to reproduce it. I am using mozilla, seamonkey, and firefox
> and I never see this.

That's just it. Happens here, but clearly not for anyone else. IIRC I would
browse to a place like "www.kakaku.com" - it would go do the resolv thing, and
just never come back, as confirmed by ktrace. I can recompile Mozilla, and run
ktrace/tcpdump again if you are curious. There's always the chance it "just
works" now, like it tends to when you try to demonstrate a problem to someone else.

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)