Subject: Suboptimal DNS lookup in Firefox/Mozilla on lossy net connections?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/02/2006 16:28:24
Hello everybody.  I'm seeing some strange DNS resolving behaviour
with firefox, and have run out of leads.

At home I get to freeride off an open wireless connection.  But
it's subject to frequent bouts of interference and so the signal
fades in and out over the course of a day.

I've found that Firefox will start to exhibit rather strange DNS
lookup behaviour under this situation, where hostname lookups take
extraordinarily long periods of time to resolve -- and sometimes
are never resolved.  But utilities like ping are able to resolve
the name relatively quickly.  This behaviour disappears if I quit
and restart firefox, but it will reappear if I stop using it for
a bit.  Replacing the hostnames with the IP addresses works fine.

These problems don't occur when I'm at the university, where I'm
behind a reliable fat pipe.

Does this ring any bells with anybody?

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli