Subject: Re: 3.0.1: softdep + ffsv2 + 'heavy' load = pauses
To: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/2006 13:49:10
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Jul_26_13:49:08_2006-1

At Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:17:24 +0100,
Mark Cullen wrote:
>=20
> Oh, I know :-) In my defense, the speed benchmarking is just for me=20
> really, and I am quite happy comparing rough numbers with a benchmark=20
> run several times for each different configuration, just to get a=20
> general feel of the difference in performance. If I were to be doing any =

> serious benchmarking for the NetBSD folks, which might help them improve =

> performance, then I would certainly do it properly! :-)

BTW, if you really want to get a good feel for how your system performs
under various disk I/O loads then benchmarks/postmark is the test you
should be running.  You can easily adjust its parameters to more
realistically model the normal production loads your system(s) will
experience.

(You might have to search for and manually download the source before
you build the package.  I wish NetApp hadn't done whatever they've done
to try to stifle its maintenance and distribution -- sure doesn't make
me want to buy or even use any of their product any more!)

> By externally observable do you mean listening for hard disk activity=20
> and such?

No, I meant by not having to dig through kernel data structures with a
debugger and watch how often various kernel threads execute.  :-)

As for your system's ~1.0 load average, well the only thing using any
significant amount of cpu, besides smbd, is mysqld, though I can't see
it keeping the load average up that high and yet still only use that few
minutes of CPU time in two days.  However if you can run without the databa=
se
for a while, see if killing it drops your load average down to "normal".

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>