Subject: pppoe on 3.0
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: J.D. Bronson <jbronson@wixb.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/25/2006 07:08:21
(please send any replies back to group - not directly to me)

I have pppoe (kernel) working (finally) and was wondering about a few things...

In my custom kernel, do I still need these with PPPoE:
(I am only doing PPPoE/routing...nothing more)

# pseudo-device ppp
# pseudo-device tun
# pseudo-device vlan
# pseudo-device bridge

then, I was wondering about the correct usage of ifconfig.pppoe0:

This is what I have (and it works):
create
! /sbin/ifconfig bge1 up
! /sbin/pppoectl -e bge1 $int
! /sbin/pppoectl $int myauthproto=pap 'myauthname=XXX'
'myauthsecret=YYYY'hisauthproto=none
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff up

I would like to reference a file instead (like /etc/ppp/ppp.conf) and
keep things a bit cleaner...but no matter how I try, I get errors
from pppoectl.

If I do this on the command line to start pppoectl (and not use
ifconfig.pppoe0) my file works fine...so I know thats not it.

Whats the CORRECT way to specify a file within ifconfig.pppoe0?

thanks guys....

-JD