Subject: Re: momentary freezes in -current
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Robert Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/2006 06:38:28
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jukka Marin" <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
To: "NetBSD Users" <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>; "Current Users"
<current-users@NetBSD.org>
Cc: "Port-i386" <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 6:16 AM
Subject: momentary freezes in -current

> A few times during the copy, the system froze completely and then
> woke up again.  When this happens, the system does not respond to
> ping, it doesn't update the systat display or do anything visible.
> During the copy, over 40 ping packets were lost.
>
> Once, systat compalined something about a dead timer and using another
> one (I couldn't save the message).
>
> I have seen pauses like this on my single-CPU i386 system running 2.0
> without raidframe, so this is not a new problem.  I'll try to do more
> testing when I get back to the new machine (it's kind of slow over
> GPRS).

Are softdeps turned on for the local mountpoints you are using? This sounds
like what I and a few other were experiencing, see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2006/07/22/0007.html for an
explanation of what's going on. Unfortunantly, it sounds like the solution
is to turn off softdeps.  :(  I'm going to look at LFS as soon as I find
some spare time.

--
Bob