Subject: Re: 3.0.1: pf as an LKM and SMP
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2006 00:08:38
Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Mark Cullen wrote:
>> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

>>> You cannot load a module not compiled with MULTIPROCESSOR into a kernel
>>> that was compiled with MULTIPROCESSOR.
>>>
>> I thought the modules were rebuilt while building a kernel though, no?
>> So the modules in /usr/src/sys/lkm *should* be compiled with the
>> MULTIPROCESSOR option too?
>
> No.  LKMs are built as part of the entire system, not as part of the
> kernel.  You'll need to explicitly rebuild.
>
> +j

Ok, small problem. We're trying to rebuild them manually by doing:

cd /usr/src/sys/lkm
make

and they rebuild, but how does it know to use the kernel configuration
we made with MULTIPROCESSOR, and thus compile the modules with this option?

Basically, can someone say exactly how we're supposed to rebuild the
kernel modules *without* having to rebuild the whole world?! I'm
actually really quite stumped with this one.

--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>