Subject: Re: monitoring Intel Serverboard
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.sechs@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/2006 17:52:15
Reinhold M. Roppert wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea how to monitor the board?

The management controller may conform to IPMI. At the moment, I
doubt you can query the controller from the machine itself.
As far as I know NetBSD does not yet support any kernel drivers for
talking to such a controller.

If the controller can be connected to the network (either through an
ethernet interface of its own or by "shareing" the main interface) you
could search in the board manual how to set it up with an IP address
and then use sysutils/ipmitool from pkgsrc to talk to it from a
different machine.

It _might_ be feasible to get FreeIPMI
(http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/) running on NetBSD. If I remember
correctly, this software is supposed to supply userland drivers for
talking to controllers but I do not know which requirements FreeIPMI has
(somehow it also has to talk to the hardware).

ciao
     Klaus