Subject: Re: explaining TOP memory output and constant 1.0 load averages
To: =?UTF-8?B?UHJ6ZW15c8WCYXcgUGF3ZcWCY3p5aw==?= <warpman@kv.net.pl>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/19/2006 10:59:47
Good points, and questions...
At this time, I've basically boiled down my attitude that disk caches
are good, but I never want them to interfere with other types of memory
needs, so I basically holds the disk cache allowance very low.
If there is memory to use, the disk cache will grab it anyway, so it's a
good deal in my eyes.

Others, I'm sure, have other opinions on this, and I'll let them speak
for themself.

My /etc/sysctl.conf looks like this, anyway...

----
# Tune the vm.
vm.filemin=5
vm.filemax=10
vm.anonmin=5
vm.anonmax=80
vm.execmin=5
vm.execmax=50
vm.bufcache=5
----

While I probably could work some more on these values, this is what I
put together in a minute or five, and it gives me much better
performance than before. So good, in fact, that I don't feel the need to
tweak the memory system any more.

	Johnny