Subject: Re: explaining TOP memory output
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/17/2006 11:57:32
Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
 > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:55:19 +0100
 > Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >> Michael Parson wrote:
 >> PS: I apologize to the original poster for sort of hi-jacking the
thread.

 > Hi,
 > You don't have to do it. I intently read the thread and eagerly learn
on the subject. Go on, please...

 > BTW. I improved my system responsevness a little changing in Deer
Park (Firefox Gtk1) cache settings from 50MB to 5 MB. But the numbers
describe _disk_ memory not system memory. They shouldn't influence each
other. Decidedly there's a need for some neatly script optimizing system
memory for several preset options like desktop and others, or with a
selection list of several main apps. I have no experience with such
detailed adjusting tools like those presented on the thread. And when I
think of all the permutations of setting items I run away from PC to
calm down.. ;-)

 > Cheers,
 > warpman

:)

Perhaps changing from 50MB to 5MB helped as it was filling up the file
system buffer cache or something, as Johnny suggested. If the buffer
cache code pushes things out to swap I guess it could cause things like
this to happen?

I am guessing if this was the case it would become obvious looking at
the output of vmstat while running FireFox when it gets slow. Something
like `vmstat -c 20 -w 1` maybe?

--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>