Subject: Re: NetBSD and Mobile Phones
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Denis Lagno <dlagno@rambler.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/13/2006 10:31:33
> At home I use PPP with an analogue wire-line modem to
> connect to the Internet. My configuration is very similar to
> that shown in the NetBSD Guide.  Is the configuration
> required for GPRS very different?  Do you use a dialler to
> issue some special ATD command before PPP starts?

The main difference is that GPRS phone is much more intellectual.
And in case of analogue modem you have PPP connection with your provider,
but in case of GPRS modem you have PPP connection directly with the phone,
and it translates ppp into gprs connection by itself.

As for ppp configuration it is very similar except for special
AT command that sets settings of gprs connection.  It may look like:
AT&K3;+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.beeline.ru",0,0,0;+CGQREQ=1,0,0,3,0,0

Also dialed number is weird and depends on the phone, not gprs operator.
It may look like:
ATD*99*1#

-- denis