Subject: Re: NetBSD and Mobile Phones
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/12/2006 09:48:10
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:43:02 -0500 (GMT-05:00), Andy Ball
> <andy.ball@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> This is a long shot I know, but if anyone here happens to
>> have a Nokia 6103 or a Motorola PEBL along with a data cable
>> (serial or USB) I'm interested in knowing what NetBSD makes
>> of them.  My hope is that they present themselves to the
>> NetBSD host as an ordinary tty with a Hayes-like modem
>> attached.  This worked for me once with a friend's Motorola
>> iDEN phone.  dmesg output, personal experiences, hints or
>> suggestions are invited.
>>
>> - Andy Ball
>>
> I have a Motorola V188 phone; it does appear as ucom0:
>
> umodem0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
> umodem0: Motorola Inc. Motorola Phone (V188), rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2,
> iclass 2/2 umodem0: data interface 1, has CM over data, has no break
> umodem0: status change notification available
> ucom0 at umodem0
>
> When I cu to ttyU0, it does respond 'OK' if I type 'AT'.  A year or so
> ago, I briefly tried to make calls that way, but it didn't work and I
> never pursued it; it might even have been my error.

And Nokia 6680:
umodem0 at uhub2 port 2 configuration 1 interface 8
umodem0: Nokia Nokia 6680, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2, iclass 2/2
umodem0: data interface 9, has no CM over data, has break
umodem0: status change notification available
ucom0 at umodem0

Unlike my earlier phones, I can't just ATD to dial a number (I used to
connect into a modem off the back our our server). But I CAN start a 3G
session over ppp and use ssh - which is way better :-)

This is very similar to my experiences with 3G PCMCIA cards (described
elsewhere).

--
Stephen