Subject: Re: NetBSD and Mobile Phones
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/12/2006 00:13:39
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:43:02 -0500 (GMT-05:00), Andy Ball
<andy.ball@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a long shot I know, but if anyone here happens to
> have a Nokia 6103 or a Motorola PEBL along with a data cable
> (serial or USB) I'm interested in knowing what NetBSD makes
> of them.  My hope is that they present themselves to the
> NetBSD host as an ordinary tty with a Hayes-like modem
> attached.  This worked for me once with a friend's Motorola
> iDEN phone.  dmesg output, personal experiences, hints or
> suggestions are invited.
>
> - Andy Ball

I have a Motorola V188 phone; it does appear as ucom0:

umodem0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
umodem0: Motorola Inc. Motorola Phone (V188), rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2,
iclass 2/2 umodem0: data interface 1, has CM over data, has no break
umodem0: status change notification available
ucom0 at umodem0

When I cu to ttyU0, it does respond 'OK' if I type 'AT'.  A year or so
ago, I briefly tried to make calls that way, but it didn't work and I
never pursued it; it might even have been my error.