Subject: Re: THW game is ready to be included on the system
To: None <ilfoglionascosto@netcat.it, netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2006 23:05:35
On Nov 25,  2:45pm, "Claudio M." wrote:
} On Wednesday 05 July 2006, alle 06:44, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
} > Please use a distname with a version.
} Ok.
}
} I remember you the URL: http://dinotte.altervista.org/files/thewpkg.tar.bz2

     I looked at your package.  I ran it through pkglint (which you can
find in pkgsrc at pkgtools/pkglint) and got a bunch of errors that you
can see below.  It does point out a rather glaring omission in that
there is no man page.  The man page should explain how to play the
game, the '-a' option, and what the stuff at the top of the screen
means.  There is a template in /usr/share/misc/man.template.  You can
also look at other games for ideas.

     Looking at the game itself, I see that it uses curses.  That being
the case, it should have .include "../../mk/curses.buildlink3.mk" as
the second last line in the package Makefile.  In the game Makefile,
you define CC.  This is a very bad thing, as that makes it
non-portable.  To have curses added, you should have 'LDFLAGS+=
-lcurses'.  Also, thew.c should have a dependency on extern.h.
Finally, I ran lint on thew.c and got the following errors:

thew.c(184): warning: trick may be used before set [158]
thew.c(249): warning: eating set but not used in function main [191]

---- pkglint -Call -Wall -e messages ----
ERROR: distinfo:6: Unknown line type.
NOTE: distinfo:6: Trailing empty lines.
NOTE: Makefile:4: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
WARN: Makefile:4: "thew" is not a valid package name. A valid package name has the form packagename-version, where version consists only of digits, letters and dots.
NOTE: Makefile:5: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
NOTE: Makefile:6: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
NOTE: Makefile:7: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
NOTE: Makefile:9: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
NOTE: Makefile:10: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
NOTE: Makefile:10: For consistency, please add a trailing slash to "http://dinotte.altervista.org".
NOTE: Makefile:11: Alignment of variable values should be done with tabs, not spaces.
NOTE: Makefile:17: Trailing empty lines.
WARN: PLIST:2: Manual page missing for bin/thew.
1 errors and 2 warnings found.

}-- End of excerpt from "Claudio M."