Subject: Re: Moving system disk to a new machine...
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2006 10:02:27
--=-=-=

Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org> writes:

> I am plannign to move my system disk to a new motherboard... is there
> anything I need to do? I imagine that the disk and network card names
> will likely change? I am using the machine in text console mode, so
> don't expect to have to reconfigure X. Should I expect any trouble?
> Any command I have to type to re-scan the hardware?

I would update to the latest code (along netbsd-3 if you're there, to
netbsd-3 at least if you're running 1.6 or 2) before moving, to
increase the odds that all will be supported.  Ensure that you have a
GENERIC rather than custom/stripped kernel.  Before moving, boot an
ISO on the new hardware and see if it works.

=2D-=20
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--