Subject: Re: Moving system disk to a new machine...
To: Gilbert Fernandes <gilboooo@gmail.com>
From: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2006 15:58:28
Hello!

Gilbert Fernandes wrote:
>> Definitely not using X on that machine. It's a mail / web server. :)
>
> If you are not using X, I do hope you are using screen ;)
> (I mean Gnu Screen).
Not even that. The machine is mostly administered by SSH. :) Console is
used once every other week when I really need to, but NetBSD is so
stable that I never really need to go to console. :)

Then again, what is GnuScreen?

>> a SHUTTLE XPC ST20G5). Does the NetBSD driver properly work with this
>> device? On Linux, the default driver in the kernel hands on high volumes
>> for this card...
> One question... machine has a Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet controler (it's
>
> This page reports supported Ethernet on x86 :
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html
>
> The ST20G5 does not tell a lot about the network card on the Shuttle
> website.
> But checking its driver shows they seems to be using a Broadcom 5751.
> The NetBSD supported hardware page says about 570x but not 5751.
>
> Not sure it will work. If it does not, please try to boot a
> NetBSD-current by
> using the two floppy disks and see if it gets supported.
>
> The 5751 is supported under FreeBSD. Code can be ported then.
If worse comes to worse, I have another GBE card in the same machine
that is very common and for which the Linux drivers work, so I expect
the NetBSD to work smoothly too. :)

Will try to do the swap sometimes this week. :)

Thanks,
Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>