Subject: Re: Moving system disk to a new machine...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilboooo@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2006 15:26:48
Please keep your signature to four lines only, and don't use HTML.

>  I am plannign to move my system disk to a new motherboard... is there anything I need
> to do?

Since the kernel is monolithic, moving the disk to another machine should have
it to boot properly. You should not encounter any problem if you are
using GENERIC
or something very close to it.

> I imagine that the disk and network card names will likely change?

The disk will be wd0 and/or wd1 very probably. The code used to talk to
the hard-disk might not be the same, but it should appear exactly as before
in the new machine.

> I am using the machine in text console mode, so don't expect to have to reconfigure X.

If you are using the console, you are not using X ;)

X might require reconfig if the graphic card is not the same. Just using
/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86cfg will do an auto-detect of screen/video card.

> Should I expect any trouble? Any command I have to type to re-scan the hardware?

The kernel does that on boot :)

Make sure you are using GENERIC.

--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; find ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ;
yes ; fsck ; umount ; sleep