Subject: Re: memory sizes with Xen
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2006 11:22:12
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Is the "real" memory allocated to Xen DomU machines paged by the Dom0
> machine?  Put another way, the machine has a certain amount of RAM.  What
> are my choices for allocation among several DomUs?  It's obviously bad to
> overcommit too much, resulting in double-paging, but am I restricted to
> the total amount of real memory in assigning memory sizes to the VMs?

I would certainly expect that trying to allocate more RAM to your VMs than is
physically available in the actual hardware would result in severe performance
degradation *IF* all of your VMs are active at the same time.

On the other hand, if you've got a bunch of VMs which are mostly idle and only
handling, say, less than 10K HTTP hits per day (or emails, etc), you can
probably get away with over-allocating RAM to your VM's.  You should
definitely watch out for signs of contention and severe increases to server
latency if the load picks up.  There are monitoring tools like Nagios or
BigBrother which'll keep track of latency on a per-port/service basis which
might be helpful...

--
-Chuck