Subject: Re: Building a huge file server
To: Markus W Kilbinger <mk@kilbi.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/05/2006 05:38:21
On 7/5/06, Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au> wrote:
> It may be heretical of me to suggest this on a NetBSD list, but for
> something like this - and especially if you need it now - have you
> considered opensolaris and zfs?  The SATA-controller question is much
> more difficult and fiddly there, but the filesystem questions much
> less so. fsck on something this size takes way way way too long.

People ask all the time if there is a journalling filesystem for
NetBSD, and I guess this would be the appropriate time to ask if there
is at least any progress in this area.

All large un*x systems these days are usually not requiring fsck on a
"dirty" reboot. If it did it would make life extremely difficult for
some admins for sure.

I'm sure it's way over my head to make any comments here, but in my
own experience I've had good luck with turning off disk write cache (I
have no idea how this affects performance) with soft updates turned
on, and up until now I haven't had anything drastic happen. But NetBSD
does want to do fsck anyway on reboot... I'm managing just over 1TB
but it's all split into smaller filesystems. The biggest one is 300
gigs. This is on older ATA100/133 drives, with NetBSD 2.0.2. No major
problems yet, but I'm not doing anything fancy either.

Andy