Subject: NVIDIA Ethernet Driver (nfe) watchdog errors
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Brown <steve@daedilus.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2006 22:48:32
Hi folks,

I'm using NetBSD 3 Stable on my i386 PC, Kernel as follows:

NetBSD 3.0_STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Fri Jun 16 00:31:36 BST 2006

I guess I probably compiled this within a couple of days of cvs
updating, making this kernel pretty much 3 weeks old.

I am getting the following messages as part of my dmesg output, and am
able to see additional occurences of this message on the console:

nfe0: watchdog timeout

At each point I observe this error, it is during usage of the network
for smallish packets (streaming mp3 playback, email etc from my server),
and each occurence of the error seems to coincide with a network
connection reset visible on my switch.

I have done a search on the web for this error, which has identified
these issues for FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and patches have been generated
(it seems).

The link to one such article is
http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=freebsd-amd64&a=2006-04&t=1965995

Seeing as this seems to be a known error of sorts, is there any such
patch available, and is it likely to be brought up into STABLE?

Thanks

Steve