Subject: Re: Serial console: won't boot unless the cable is plugged in
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2006 23:59:07
Dieter wrote:
>> I have just noticed that the machine hangs at the NetBSD boot prompt
>> when the serial cable isn't plugged in
>
> Perhaps it is waiting for carrier detect?

It could be. Is there any way to stop this behavior, if it is?

>> it just refuses to actually do the timeout countdown and boot the kernel
>>  until I plug it in, hit enter, which brings me a prompt, and type 'boot'.
>
> Does it autoboot if the cable is plugged in?  Or do you always have
> to type at it?

It autoboots fine if the cable is plugged in, I don't have to manually
type 'boot'.

>> I can't have the cable plugged in to my laptop 24/7,
>> as my laptop happens to sit on the other side of the room.
>
> Use a longer cable?

Not really an option I am afraid. Said laptop is getting donated to my
parents and won't be in my room for much longer, which is why I would
really like it to boot properly without the cable plugged in.

--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>