Subject: Serial console: won't boot unless the cable is plugged in
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/30/2006 23:00:50
I used the following to set up a serial console:

installboot -v -m i386 -o console=com0,speed=57600,timeout=10 /dev/rwd0a
/usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv2

I have just noticed that the machine hangs at the NetBSD boot prompt
when the serial cable isn't plugged in (in this case, in to my laptop
and using terminal emulator software). It's not locked up, it just
refuses to actually do the timeout countdown and boot the kernel until I
plug it in, hit enter, which brings me a prompt, and type 'boot'.

Is there something simple I have missed? I can't have the cable plugged
in to my laptop 24/7, as my laptop happens to sit on the other side of
the room.
--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>