Subject: Re: Various disk errors just showed up in dmesg :(
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/28/2006 23:38:54
Andy Ruhl wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is this most likely just the cable? That last error looks quite
>> worrying... I do believe that I have another disk attached on the same
>> cable as that drive though, so I would have thought I would also be
>> seeing errors on wd0. Hmm....
>

> Cable, wonky controller bios, memory, any number of things. Cold boot
> it and see if it continues.
>
> I had this problem when I added a network card. I assume this is
> likely PC hardware, which is often junk. No offense, it's just the
> case. I have to deal with it too.
>
> Andy

Speedy reply!

Don't think it would be the controller's BIOS as it worked without any
of these types of errors on FreeBSD (with the same cables too, but hey).
Maybe the controller is on it's way out, but then it's really odd it's
only affecting that one drive :-)

I'm waiting on a hard disk to arrive, quite ironically. Should be
tomorrow with a bit of luck. I'd really like to hold off rebooting and
messing about with things (again!) until then. Are these errors actually
harmful (for now) if they're being "corrected"? The disk is on a RAID-1
so...

It is indeed PC hardware. I know, alot of it is rubbish :-)

Doing a `dd if=/dev/rwd1d of=/dev/null bs=16k` is bringing up a fair
amount of these errors, and I don't think any of the numbers relate to
the numbers seen previously in the logs. I really hope this is just a
mysteriously cable issue...

Thanks!!