Subject: Re: cpio header field too small?
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: None <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/26/2006 13:37:03
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:12:27AM -0700, Ben Collver wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I am using pax -x cpio, sorry for the
> confusion.  It was suggested that the error meant my path name was too
> long.  Is that the case?

Ah, OK :) I'm not familiar with the limitations of cpio format, but the
FreeBSD libarchive-formats(3) manpage says:

     Cpio is an old format that was widely used because of its simplicity and
     its support for very long filenames.  Unfortunately, it has many limita-
     tions that make it unsuitable for widespread use.	Only the POSIX format
     permits files over 4GB, and its 18-bit limit for most other fields makes
     it unsuitable for modern systems.	In addition, cpio formats only store
     numeric UID/GID values (not usernames and group names), which can make it
     very difficult to correctly transfer archives across systems.  Finally,
     there is no good way to extend the format, which means that ACLs, file
     flags, character encoding information, and non-standard file types can
     not be added except by breaking compatibility with existing implementa-
     tions.

So, it sounds like the path name length isn't the problem, but some other
field. I assume you need to stick with cpio format?