Subject: simple serial port program
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2006 13:28:05
anyone have a simple program that monitors the handshaking lines on a
serial port and can detect when one of them drops?  I'm wanting to do
some simple monitoring where I'll connect RTS and CTS, set 1 high and
monitor when the other goes low.  The connection will be made by a
circuit which detects certain bad events like water on my basement floor
and will email me at work and also to my phone.

I'd like it to set an alarm when the connection is broken so if the
cable gets knocked out it will also trigger the alarm.

Can this monitoring be done without polling?  This will be on either an
alpha (pc164) or a sparc (IPX).

Thanks
-Dan