Subject: Re: Game Pad Functionality
To: None <diro@nixsys.bz>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/18/2006 01:52:32
--X1xGqyAVbSpAWs5A

On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 09:44:36PM +0000, diro@nixsys.bz wrote:
> I've got a Microsoft (hey, it was free) SideWinder game pad, which would =
be=20
> great to get to work under NetBSD.=20
>=20
> Nothing works yet with a couple different configurations. I tried=20
> connecting it to the game port on the sound card (Ensoniq CT5880-A) and=
=20
> adding all of the relavant isa joystick entries in the kernel config file=
=2E=20
> Nothing was detected on boot. The LED light on the game pad is lit, and=
=20
> when the "mode" button is pressed, it toggles on and off.=20
>=20
> I have a game port to USB adapater and i connected that to the USB card.=
=20
> The device doesn't appear in usbdevs. The LED light on the game pad is li=
t,=20
> and when the "mode" button is pressed, it stays lit unless held.=20
>=20
> Any ideas?

I'd guess that this is not a standard joystick, but rather a
serial interface via the MPU401 (the MIDI UART) in most newer game ports.

Now, why the USB gameport adapter is not even being
detected as a USB device is odd,  unless it's just
an adapter cable for a specific model of device.

I've got a gamepad that has both of these properties,
but the USB adapter is the one that it came with,
so it appears as a uhidev and uhid.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--X1xGqyAVbSpAWs5A

--X1xGqyAVbSpAWs5A--