Subject: Re: weird flash disk problems
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/16/2006 11:41:18
--+SfteS7bOf3dGlBC

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 12:55:53AM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:
> > But that's not the end of the story, and NetBSD may be doing
> > something worse.  For fun, I suspended the machine, then tried using
> > the drive.  I'm back to the "reset failed" messages.  I don't know
> > if it's significant or not, but someplace in the suspend/resume
> > process, the following console message appeared:
> >=20
> > 	ehci0: BIOS has given up ownership
> >=20
> > what does that mean?  Could it be related to my problem?
>=20
> It could be related, but it's not an error message, just an
> informational note. It means that the operating system asked for
> control of the EHCI device, the system (via SMI) noticed this and
> relinquished control. The error message would be "BIOS refuses to give
> up ownership, using force."
>=20
> The PWR_RESUME powerhook asks for ownership, apparantly because the
> BIOS sometimes takes it when the system is powered down and back up.
> It's possible that we should explicitly relinquish the device on
> powerdown events, but I'm not really sure.

FWIW, i've never had any issues with ehci(4) on X40 after suspend/resume.

 ehci0 at pci0 dev 29 function 7: Intel 82801DB USB EHCI Controller (rev.  =
0x01)
 ehci0: interrupting at irq 9
 ehci0: BIOS has given up ownership
 ehci0: EHCI version 1.0
 ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: uhci0 uhci1 uhci2

and i get the message on every resume. e.g., today:

 Jun 16 10:15:14 aurora-surrealis apm: Suspending...
 Jun 16 10:15:14 aurora-surrealis apm: Suspending done.
 Jun 16 10:59:19 aurora-surrealis /netbsd: ehci0: BIOS has given up ownersh=
ip
 Jun 16 10:59:19 aurora-surrealis /netbsd: atabus0: resuming...
 Jun 16 10:59:19 aurora-surrealis /netbsd: atabus1: resuming...
 Jun 16 10:59:19 aurora-surrealis apm: Resuming...
 Jun 16 10:59:19 aurora-surrealis apm: Resuming done.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

--+SfteS7bOf3dGlBC