Subject: Re: wikipedia article
To: Dale Rahn <drahn@dalerahn.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/12/2006 14:48:07
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:23:06AM -0400, Dale Rahn wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:18:55PM -0700, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > On 6/11/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >* IIRC NetBSD was a fork of FreeBSD
> >
> > that's an interesting theory when you consider that the first netbsd
> > release came out 8 months before the first freebsd release.
> >

> However, NetBSD was a fork of 386BSD0.1+patchkit, where the group
> developing the patchkit became FreeBSD.

ITYM "some of" the group; I don't know where things would end up by total
lines of code contributed, but I'd say NetBSD, FreeBSD and OpenBSD might
well end up about even.  If you really want to pick nits, I could point
out that the patchkit maintainers received a pre-release snapshot of NetBSD
0.8 well before the FreeBSD release, portions of which were incorporated
into FreeBSD without proper credit; so it would be wholly reasonable to
call FreeBSD a "fork" of NetBSD 0.8.

Does it really matter?  This whole discussion seems like a deliberate
effort to dredge up old rivalries and create bad feeling.  It is all
ancient, ancient history now.

Thor