Subject: Re: Intel 82801EB (ICH5) Outputs on the Line-In
To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian McIntosh <ianm@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/12/2006 08:44:23
Gavan Fantom wrote:
> Ian McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I am using netBSD 1.6.2_STABLE and have a problem with the audio. It
>> seems that when I play audio files using audioplay the sound is output
>> on the Line-In port. I have tried specifying the 'line' and 'speaker'
>> ports in audioplay but no success. In fact, when I specify a port,
>> audioplay complains that it failed the AUDIO_SETINFO ioctl with invalid
>> parameters. When I don't specify anything then the audio is output on
>> the Line-In port.
>>
>> My problem is I also want to use audiorecord to record from the Line-In.
>> This seems to function correctly, although I have to remove my
>> speaker jack from the Line-In port and plug my audio source in. The
>> Line-Out seems to never be used.
>
> Can you verify that this works correctly under another OS, such as Windows?
>
> Output from the input jack sounds rather fishy.

The motherboard manual suggests that the (Blue) Line-In Port can be used
for both Rear speaker out or audio input.

I have tried it on a netBSD 2.1_STABLE unit with the same motherboard
and that correctly uses the default Line-Out (Green) port for speaker
output and the Line-In (Blue) port for input.

Currently I am tied to using 1.6.2 with this Intel Motherboard so I
would need to resolve the problem for 1.6.2.

Ian