Subject: Re: Question on some kernel options, NetBSD 3.0
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/11/2006 09:15:00
> As for NEW_BUFQ_STATEGY, the comments sound like it would be very
> beneficial:
>
> "Enable experimental buffer queue strategy for better responsiveness
> under high disk I/O load. Likely stable but not yet the default."
>
> I am noticing some pretty severe slow-down's when I, for instance, untar
> pkgsrc. It was really quite bad actually, while it was doing it I did a
> `ps ax`, which took around 30 seconds (possibly more) to return and
> print to the console! If it makes any difference, I am using UFS2 and
> softdep.

Yup, I too am curious on the NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY option. Like Mark, I
had some pretty server slow-downs during high disk loads ...... while
untar-ing pkgsrc, or moving large directories from one place to
another, etc ......

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--
	NetBSD/i386 3.0 + pkgsrc-current | OpenBSD/i386 3.9
	http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd archives)