Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.0, vinum and a FreeBSD 4.11 built vinum RAID-1 array
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2006 22:41:16
Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
>>From what I gather, vinum is a fairly recent addition to NetBSD. Is it
>>even stable enough to use? Are there any known bugs etc? Is anyone out
>>there using it with NetBSD successfully, even?
>

> vinum was removed from NetBSD recently, it never really worked.
>
> regards,

I see! Well I shalln't even bother to continue trying then. I'm a little
hesitant to convert it all to something else, as there's always the
possibility that  something won't work quite right and I will have to go
back to FreeBSD. Then it gets even more difficult getting the data back
off and back on to vinum. Well, from what I can tell anyway. NetBSD's
software RAID appears to be RAIDFrame? AFAIK 4.11 doesn't support that,
and NetBSD doesn't support vinum.. so I would be a little stuck :-)

Unless someone has a really good idea, it looks like if I want to give
it a go I may have to invest in another disk(s) and just copy the data
off the array and over to a NetBSD native slice. I suppose I *could*
pull and use one of the disks from the vinum RAID-1 array, but, it was
only fairly recently set up, and I don't quite trust either of the disks
yet :-)

Anyhow, thanks for that info! I had no idea it was recently removed.