Subject: Re: ppp (over evdo) speed
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/31/2006 15:13:02
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> I run ppp on an EVDO wireless card.  The PCMCIA card itself appears as
> ucom0 on umodem0 on a USB hub at cardbus0.  The problem is that it isn't
> as fast as it should be.
>
> I've run the same web-based speed testers when running both NetBSD and
> Windows.  On NetBSD, I never see more than 220K bps; on Windows, I can get
> 650K-850K bps.  The question is what I should change.  MTU is 1500; I see
> nothing else obvious.

Can you try cranking up these constants in umodem_common.c?

/*
 * These are the maximum number of bytes transferred per frame.
 * If some really high speed devices should use this driver they
 * may need to be increased, but this is good enough for normal modems.
 */
#define UMODEMIBUFSIZE 64
#define UMODEMOBUFSIZE 256

        - Nathan