Subject: Re: Any solutions for sound over network with NetBSD?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/31/2006 19:30:35
[removing port-i386@ from the recipients as that isn't an appropriate
list for this]

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 01:19:32PM +0200, Mark Weinem wrote:
> So as esound/esd doesn't work on NetBSD - maybe something wrong with
> the esound package, maybe something wrong with NetBSD - are there any
> working alternatives for sound over network?

It's been a while, but I've succesfully used NAS (Network Audio System)
between several NetBSD hosts.  NAS is much like X11 in setup: the system
with the physical speakers connected is the server, and audio-producing
applications can connect to it over the network.  To know which
host/port to connect to, those applications look at the AUDIOSERVER
variable, which is similar to the DISPLAY variable for X, and they even
fall back to the latter when the former is unset!  Hence, nas integrates
nicely with X11, and is an excellent choice for use on X terminals.

Your applications should support nas though, but many pkgsrc packages
have nas as an option, and for those supporting libao, there is a
libao-nas plugin (which unfortunately isn't in pkgsrc, but I think I've
created a package for it once -- I should look it up).

	Geert