Subject: Re: file systems for large, removable drives?
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/26/2006 14:25:42
On 5/26/06, Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 01:56:13PM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
>
> > NetBSD and Windows can use ext2/3. There is a driver (don't remember
> > where, sourceforge I think) that allows an ext2 or ext3 filesystem to
> > be mounted in Windows. Probably only read only though.
>
> http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm (read-only)
> http://www.yipton.demon.co.uk/                     (read-only)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd            (read-write)

The one on sourceforge is the one I used.

One time I used it and it didn't mount the ext2 fs again after the
first time. I uninstalled and reinstalled in typical Windows fashion,
and it worked fine after that. I'm pretty sure I have not used it for
writing data from Windows.

Also note, for the non Linux people, you should be able to mount ext3
filesystems as ext2. You just don't get the journaling capability.

This is a good question though. Would be nice at some point to have a
universal filesystem (other than CD or DVD) that everyone can
understand.

Andy