Subject: Re: External HDD not getting recognized
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 19:03:24
--rQ7Ovc9/RBrrr0/1

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 04:54:08PM +0000, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Thank you Quentin. That made some sense to me. So basically as long as
> I have "atapibus* at atapi?" defined, there's no need to define
> "atapibus* at umass?" coz atapi and umass etc are devices that are
> exported from other places and so can get attached to by others. Ok.
>=20
> Thing is, in my case, I didnt uncomment the "atapibus* at atapi?"
> line. That was already there. And yet the HDD wasn't getting
> recognized. :(

Well, you're rather imprecise about what "not getting recognised" mean
to you.  Excerpts of dmesg(1) output would be clearer.

> Actually, after I wrote that last mail, I did some snooping around myself:
>=20
> 1) I booted with the GENERIC kernel, and checked if the HDD gets
> detected. Since it was able to do so yest nite (before I built the new
> kernel), I assumed it would still detect. Turns out I was wrong. The
> GENERIC kernel wasn't detecting my HDD.
>=20
> 2) Next I booted to Windows XP. (I dual boot Windows XP and NetBSD).
> Strangely, even Windows wasn't detecting the external HDD. No error
> messages, nothing!! The HDD was getting power -- I could see that --
> but nothing after that.
>=20
> 3) I have 3 USB ports in my HDD. Two of them are what I usually use,
> and with which I was tryhing so far. Upon a whim, I tried plugging the
> HDD into the 3rd port. Voila, Windows detected it, the drives
> appeared, etc etc.
>=20
> 4) I rebooted to NetBSD. Plugged the HDD into the 3rd port of above.
> Nopes, nothing happens.
>=20
> 5) I rebooted back to Windows XP. Plug the HDD into the 3rd port,
> nothing happens. All 3 ports are unable to detect the external HDD. :(
> In Windows XP as well as NetBSD!
>=20
> I know the ports are fine. I can plug a flash disk in, it gets
> detected (in both OSes). And I know my HDD and cable etc too are fine.
> Any ideas what could be going wrong? The only thing I know is that
> till yest, with the GENERIC kernel, I was able to use the external HDD
> on all my ports, and in both OSes. Yest onwards, after compiling the
> new kernel, I have been unable to use the HDD. And worse, I plug it
> into a port, that port doesnt detect the HDD in Windows too.  :(

Does the enclosure draw any power from the USB host?  What happens if
you poweroff the machine, wait for some time, and power it on again?

--=20

--rQ7Ovc9/RBrrr0/1

--rQ7Ovc9/RBrrr0/1--