Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: None <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz,>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 11:19:43
--wRokNccIwvMzawGl

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:16:39AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 02:54:07AM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> > On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 02:23:53AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> >=20
> > > Please send us your dmesg.
> >=20
> > Below. Of course, it's "normal" dmesg - I cannot send the one after I'll
> > attach the second drive, from the reason I wrote about.
> >=20
> > > The problematic drive does not have to be attached.
> >=20
> > What you mean? I want to copy a files from there...
>=20
> I mean that the dmesg without the drive is enough.
>=20
> > piixide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1
> > piixide0: Intel 82371AB IDE controller (PIIX4) (rev. 0x01)
> > piixide0: bus-master DMA support present
> > piixide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
> > piixide0: primary channel ignored (disabled)
> > piixide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
> > piixide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
> > atabus0 at piixide0 channel 1
>=20
> > hptide0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0
> > hptide0: Triones/Highpoint HPT370 IDE Controller
> > hptide0: bus-master DMA support present
> > hptide0: primary channel wired to native-PCI mode
> > hptide0: using irq 10 for native-PCI interrupt
> > atabus1 at hptide0 channel 0
> > hptide0: secondary channel wired to native-PCI mode
> > atabus2 at hptide0 channel 1
>=20
> So, you have several ATA busses (channels). And the hptide ones have
> higher numbers, so all devices on them will have higher numbers.
>=20
> Add a line
> atabus0 at hptide0 channel 0
>=20
> to your kernel config file and recompile. This should work and should be
> enough.

No;  that will just wire down atabus0, not wd0.  If you only fix
atabus0, you'll indeed get an atabus1 attaching to piixide0, but you
will still have a wd0 attaching to that atabus1.

What amuses me greatly is this thread is how Linux mostly lacks that
ability of wiring this down.  I'm surprised the initial poster got so
much attention with his issue, considering Linux has the exact same
issue with SCSI drives (which include SATA drives, due to the way Linux
handles those...).  Also, RedHat Linux has a "solution" for that, using
file-system labels.  Of course, it uses the same labels for all
installations, so that mixing drives from two different RedHat
installations leads to interesting results.

--=20

--wRokNccIwvMzawGl

--wRokNccIwvMzawGl--