Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 03:53:04
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:06:39PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:

> My situation is a little different, I wanted to have my root on
> an ATA drive; and use SATA drives for removable storage. Since
> the SATA drives are counted before ATA drives, if I don't have
> exactly the same number SATA drives at each boot, my root ATA
> drive gets renumbered and I have to go and change fstab manually;
> which can be difficult.

It seems - as Andy wrote - that the problem it's tied to the "priority" of
the controllers, and the fact, that the drives (if I properly understood)
are ordered "after the controller" first, and the common things like
other disks existence (channel, jumpering...) have second priority.

> Solution: setup your disks in a one half raid mirror
> configuration, then the kernel uses the raid id to mount
> partitions where they belong, regardless of their numbering.
>
> The fact that the mirror is incomplete is of no consequence

So, it's the third way, I can solve the problem - I think, I'll try the
Andy's method first.

Thanks to all for help. :)
--
				pozdrawiam / regards