Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 03:06:24
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:41:21PM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

>   ZB> Tried both ways - same result.
>
> How many channels does your HPT370 provide?

Four. I know, what you mean - not tried to connect the additional HDD to the
secondary channel, because I've noticed a strange situation under Linux,
which I cannot solve - there was something messed in the way, in which the
system "sees" the partition table, when I connected a second HDD to the HPT.
I'm afraid, that to use several HDD-s together with the HPT370, it should be
prepared together (partitioned, formatted...) from the very start.

If it's possible, I would to avoid connecting anything more to HPT. Perhaps
I'll try to build new kernel first, with that "hardwire hdd" ability.

>   ZB> No. It does look strange, because it's booting from my
>     > main drive. But at the boot stage NetBSD reports main
>     > drive as "wd1", instead of "wd0", as usual.
>
> Ah, I had misunderstood the nature of the problem then.  The
> unusual nature of your configuration sounds like a good
> reason to define those device names in your custom kernel.

Yes, that's I'm going to.

But why it isn't set as default option? Does there exist any benefit in
such "wandering disklabel"?

>   ZB> I'm afraid of messing a filesystem - it has different
>     > CHS translations on the slow, and on the fast
>     > controller.
>
> You do have the data from your main drive backed up?

Unfortunately, not. :-O  And because of this I'm trying to be careful.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski