Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 02:42:10
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:04:28PM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

>   ZB> My main HDD is jumpered as "master" - and it's alone
>     > on the HPT370.
>
> Is the new drive jumpered as secondary or "slave"?

Tried both ways - same result.

> If you temporarily disconnect both the CD-R and Zip drives
> from your integrated "ordinary" ATA host bus adaptor's
> secondary channel and add the new hard disk there, does your
> PC's firmware still try to boot from it?

No. It does look strange, because it's booting from my main drive. But at
the boot stage NetBSD reports main drive as "wd1", instead of "wd0", as
usual.

> Does your machine
> boot normally from your existing drive on the HPT370?

Yes.

> Does the new drive show up in the output from dmesg?

Yes. Unfortunately - as "wd0".

> You could also try disabling the HPT370 and booting your
> existing drive from the (re-enabled) primary channel of your
> on-board "ordinary" host bus adaptor.

I'm afraid of messing a filesystem - it has different CHS translations on
the slow, and on the fast controller. Under Linux I could pass "chs"
parameter in the LILO boot-line. Not sure, it's possible under NetBSD.

> My guess would be that
> a single drive is not likely to sustain data rates faster
> than UltraDMA mode 2 (33 Mbytes/sec), in which case it would
> not pose a bottleneck.

You're right, never mind the transfer rate, I need just to transfer some
files, so I will survive - but the CHS translation does make it difficult.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski