Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2006 01:44:48
On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 06:20:34PM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

> From your mention of wd0 and wd1, I am guessing that you are
> using ATA ("IDE") disk drives and that they are attached to
> the same channel (they're on the same physical cable).  What
> you are seeing might be a consequence of "cable select":
> where the cable somehow determines which is the primary and
> which is the secondary drive.  I can think of a couple of
> other reasons why you might see this odd behaviour, neither
> of which are NetBSD's fault. The disk drive that was in your
> computer before you added the old one: is it jumpered as the
> primary drive (on that channel), the only drive, the
> secondary, or "cable select"?  What about the drive that you
> have just added?

It somewhat unusual situation, because it seems to not be dependent on the
connection "point", neither on jumpering.

I'm using a board, which has one "ordinary" PC-IDE controller, and one
HPT370. My main HDD is connected to that faster HPT370 - and, when it's just
one HDD in the system, it's seen by NetBSD as wd0. To the secondary channel
of the slower (primary) controller there is CD-R and ZIP-drive connected,
the primary channel is disabled.

I made several tries:

- disconnected the CD-R from secondary channel of the IDE-controller (that
  "ordinary" one), and connecting there that additional HDD
- disconnecting ZIP-drive from the primary channel of the same controller,
  and replacing [..]
- turning on the primary channel of that controller, and connecting HDD
  there

But everytime there was effect of "moving" that disklabel digit from 0 to 1.
I cannot force something like:
fsck -y /
mount -u /

because I'm getting "device not configured" as a reply.
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski