Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2006 20:32:14
Hello Zbigniew,

 ASB> It seems to me that NetBSD is handing over wd0 to a
    > drive attached to the intel (piixide0) adaptor just
    > because it has called the secondary channel on that
    > atabus0.  In a custom kernel, rather than reassigning
    > individual drive device names, you may be able to
    > provide NetBSD with a gentle nudge by defining atabus0
    > as the primary channel on your HPT.

I should qualify the above by saying that it is based
largely on guesses that I have made about the way that
NetBSD works with ATA and disks in general.  Hopefully some-
one here is more familiar with the actual implementation and
will be able to confirm or correct that.

If I remember rightly, renumbering your busses should be
fairly painless (edit a few lines in your kernel config file
and follow the usual build instructions).  Good luck!

- Andy Ball.