Subject: Re: Attaching additional HDD - such simple(?) thing not without problems
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/23/2006 19:25:37
On 5/23/06, Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl> wrote:
> I would to connect additional HDD (with older installation of NetBSD) to
> copy some files from. Surprisingly, such operation does turn my (formerly=
)
> wd0 into wd1 - while system does want to see the new one as wd0. In a
> consequence, i've got "unexpected inconsistency", "run ffsck manually",
> "single-user mode (ro)" and so on.
>
> It seems to be bad design; never had such problems under Linux, where my
> main hdd is - and forever will be - "hde". Never mind, how many other dis=
ks
> will be (dis)connected in the future.
>
> A section "19.7. Adding a new hard disk" does not say anything about such
> problem, http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#adding-a-disk it's not=
 an
> answer as well. I don't want to make any changes in partitions, disklabel=
s etc.
>  - just want to connect a disk for a while, mount it somewhere, copy some=
 data,
> then disconnect it permanently, and put it away.
>
> How it can be done is such simple way, as it used to be under Linux contr=
ol?
> Is it possible?

I'm afraid that without a filesystem, you can't do a lot of
mounting/writing to anything.

If your disks are being probed in a different order, maybe try
switching the disks, or possibly making a bios change.  You might also
be able to specify the wd targets very carefully in your kernel so
they probe how you like them, but don't ask me how to do that.  :)

Can you show us dmesg |grep wd before and after the disk is installed?