Subject: Re: midi/sysex problem in 3.0?
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2006 21:08:09
Michael Kukat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just wanted to use my USB MIDI interface (Behringer BCR2000) on NetBSD to
> have a more efficient weapon while developing an analog synthesizer (just
> wanted to send textual messages encapsulated in system exclusive messages for
> debugging purposes). But i just get the 0xf0 and the next 2 bytes, nothing
> more of the message. The same thing happens if i dump the settings of the
> BCR2000, which is also sysex. 3 bytes, nothing more. But not garbage in any
> way, every message is exactly terminated after those 3 bytes, no matter how
> fast they come in. So the state machine seems to be a bit broken.
>
> Did someone already fix this, is it related to kern/32442, is there a simple
> patch or should i hunt for this evil bug myself? :)
>
> ...Michael

Hi,

I've been meaning to reply to your email for a while, but I was waiting
until I had time to test my own SysEx code with NetBSD 3.0. A while ago
I wrote a patch editor and librarian for the Roland Alpha/Juno
synthesiser[1], but I encountered problems with SysEx dumps. Like you, I
found that the dumps would stop after the first couple of bytes. I sold
my Alpha/Juno last year, but I've just bought a Roland W-30 workstation
and I'd like to write a SysEx dump librarian for it. My MIDI interface
is a Yamaha UX-96, but the problem seems to be in the generic MIDI code
rather than the USB code. The original author (Lennart Augustsson I
think) said that the SysEx support was untested. I'd be happy to
coordinate debugging efforts with you if you're still interested in
fixing this problem.

Regards,

Chris

[1] http://www.chriswareham.demon.co.uk/software/alphajuno/index.html