Subject: ath(4) and bad connectivity (3.0_STABLE)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/12/2006 09:15:53
Yesterday I switched my Soekris (acting as a WLAN router, using a
ath(4)-bases pccard) from NetBSD 2.1 to 3.0_STABLE as I encountered
some connection problems for a long time. Sometimes connections
stalled and continue just after a few seconds or even minutes.
Sometimes the TCP connections get lost completely. I can even start
a second ssh connection to the same host and see the other still
stalled.
When I reconnect to my remote screen session it seems, that the
input from the "dead" connection came through, but I never got a
visual response. Further, dhclient requests arrive at the router
and dhcpd sends a response, but it seems, they dont arrive at the
clients, as they keep on trying.

So, I thought, a new NetBSD version and improved ath drivers would
make that problem disappear, but it got worse.

Then I replaced the cardbus-ath-card with an ath(4)-based Mini-
PCI-card I ripped out of a netgear router, but the situation
didn't improve.

Everything works like a charm, when I connect via ethernet, so it
must be an ath(4) problem.

Are there any configuration parameters or sysctl's I can try to
finally get a good connection and a trustworthy access point? Should
I better switch to -current?

Just to be sure, the access point is just 3 meters away, in the line
of sight and the problems are the same with NetBSD or XP clients.

Thank you very much for any help, as I'm getting out of ideas! :-)

--
Tom