Subject: Re: cat(1) question: multiple "-"s
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/18/2006 19:31:13
Doh! And as others have already noted later, zsh don't do anything like
this. It just concatenates the files, and feed the result to stdin.

Hmm, I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to simulate eofs on a stream,
but then present more data. I believe that is what really would be
neccesary.
Thinking of it, I don't think that it's possible. The only stream that I
know, that can do this, are ttys. Anyone?

	Johnny

Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Isn't that obvious?
> When the first redirected stdin gives eof, it switches to the next one.
>
> I've never seriously played with zsh, but I've always been someone
> intrigued by it. I wonder if any other shell have that one.
>
>     Johnny
>
> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>>
>>> root@loan8>   cat - - - < /tmp/1 < /tmp/2 </tmp/3
>>>                                             /tmp
>>> 11111
>>> 22222