Subject: Re: guspnp driver still broken
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2006 06:54:48
On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 03:44:33PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> Looking for more info I've found a website http://scan.coverity.com/ -
> and... OH, MY GOD! NetBSD - "Uninspected and Pending" - 2056 defects.
>
> Can't uderstand that. Why the old bugs aren't cleared _before_ proceeding
> further with development?

I think we were idling until coverity scanned netbsd sources, then the
developers suddenly decided to proceed with further development.  The
cabal decided that so long as there are thousands of defects, they may
as well do a big push and introduce the remaining defects before fixing
them all.

I don't think the release team tests /every/ driver before putting out a
new release.  If hardly anyone is using a driver (ie. new PC's with an
ISA bus are rare, and guspnp is rare) then it takes user reports.

Ben