Subject: strings ...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2006 21:43:38
Is there any particular reason why /usr/bin/strings is in the comp.tgz
tarball instead of, say, text.tgz?

I recently built a box and purposely did not install the compiler and
was surprised to discover that it wasn't there when I wanted it ... :)

I find it useful for situations where a manual entry for a program isn't
available (for example) rather than just for compiling. strings can
often give clues as to options or environment variables a particular
binary is expecting[1] if the source is otherwise unavailable or
inscrutable ... :)

It's also useful for peering into other binary chunks of data at times
... such as Word documents or other non-text files.

I'm happy enough to unpack just that file and any dependancies it has,
but all the same it I thought it Odd ...

Regards,
Malcolm

[1] I'm aware that nm or the link toolchain can do a similar job, but
those I would expect to find in comp.tgz

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank