Subject: Re: which live CD do you prefer?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/08/2006 10:59:04
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:44:51PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Mark Weinem wrote:
> > ....I'm not against a LiveCD in general, but it should be a very good
> > one, possible to run completely from RAM and at least as cool as
> > "Damm Small Linux" or "Puppy Linux"
>
> What is cool about those?

About "Puppy Linux", a good friend's son (17 years old with, prior to
Linux, only WindowsXP experience) was able to install it and play DVDs
from the video shop in just one weekend -- without dad's help.

I'd like my son to be able to do the same -- but I wouldn't have the
faintest idea as to how to get him started with NetBSD.  One problem
is that I don't have a NetBSD machine with a cd burner installed, so I
can't make the boot CD ("live CD" ??) for my son.  He'd have to be able
to download it and have instructions on how to make a boot disk for
himself on his old Windows clunker, for install on a hand-me-down A22m
Thinkpad.  For him to use it, he'd have to be able to do what he does
now with Messenger, and he'd have to be able to burn his music CDs (DVD
not such a big thing with him).  -- It's not just him, though; to make
a confession, old dad here has been doing CUI for ages, but would very
much like to get into GUI.  The learning curve, though, just doesn't
make the grade anymore. :(  I think a LiveCD would give me the boost
I need.  If I could do _everything_ in about 4 hours, the largest block
of personal time I could possibly create, I might be able to actually
get it done.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/